Thursday, August 2, 2007

A new option?

I had my post op appt. today. He told me I looked good and I looked like I had lost some weight (I haven't had much of an appetite, but I don't own a scale). He wants me to go back to work next week on Thursday, so I have a short week and then the weekend to recover before I go back for a full week. Makes sense to me I guess. He also brought up the idea of donor eggs again and then mentioned donor embryos. I had never even thought about that. So I consulted my best friend g00gle and did a little research. The cost of donor embyros is significantly less than donor eggs (anywhere from $2500-10,000) which is also cheaper than an international adoption and similar to a domestic adoption. Plus, I would be able to carry the child and feel it grow.
My husband and I have also been talking about adopting through fostering. We want a young child so it might take some time to get a child that we would be able to adopt, but I feel like we could provide a good stable home.
I still am feeling pretty tearful a lot of the time. A couple of nights ago I was watching tv and the Guardisil commercial got to me. Those young ladies on the cusp of womenhood, chanting about wanting to be "one less, one less". Before I knew it, I was bawling into my blanket.

1 comment:

Jen, Rich & Joey said...

The donor embryo idea is interesting, I don't know to much about it so I had to g00gle it too. One of the sites I was reading said that when donor embie(s) are transfered the receiving parents incur only the embryo(s) shipping & IVF fee's. Adoption, Embryo Adoption, Donor Eggs, Fostering it all is a lot to take in and think about. Either way I will keep you in my prayers. After some soul searching I'm sure your path will become more clear.

p.s. I hope today goes well, it being your 1st day back at work.