Wednesday, August 15, 2007

An Electronic Health Record

Today I thought I would blog a little about my job. I have been an RN for the past 7 years. Six of those I spent as a labor and delivery nurse and I loved it until it became apparent that I was spending 40 hours with what I want most and can't have rubbed in my face. So, I found a new job. I currently work for my hospital's IT dept in a specialized group that combines your average IT techie people with clinicians. The hope is that this combination will successfully create an enterprise wide electronic health record that will not only improve patient care by creating universal access to information, but also will improve health care by tracking patient outcomes and trends that hospitals need to focus wealth and resources on to keep up with changing winds of healthcare. It's such a big undertaking but also so exciting to be involved on the front end. Currently, the USA is #1 in the world for healthcare spending, but #42 in patient outcomes. Obviously, we have a long way to go.
Do any of you out there work in healthcare?

No comments: