Saturday, March 22, 2008

Another Step

Today was the last day of my nuvaring. As long as AF visits in before then, I will start my Estrace on the 27th. It's so exciting and scary at the same time. I am getting better at giving myself the lupron shots each day. I only hesitate for 5-10 secs now. The first day or two, I would stare at the needle and my stomach for a good 60-90 seconds before getting the nerve up to actually do anything about it!
Tuesday we have our pyschological evaluation and to be honest, I am scared to death about it. Mostly because I have no idea what it will be like. It's so hard to put yourself out there to a perfect stranger. It's an odd place to be in, as we had our son so easily. I was 16 when we got pregnant, it was the first month we did the baby dance, it was so unexpected, so easy. 5 years ago when we started this journey for another child, I never expected for it to be so damn hard. Now, not only have we had countless tests, three surgeries, more physical and emotional pain than I could have ever imagined, we have to prove ourselves fit to parent another child.
I have so much hope and so much fear that this won't work. I tell myself that there is no reason I can't be in the 50% that are successful. After all, it seems meant to be. We are cycling in April (between our anniversary and DS birthday), we would be due Jan 6th, (one day after DH's 32nd birthday, his original cut off date for having more children) and our embryos were frozen 7/17/07, the date of my last surgery. I hope that it is all a good sign.
I have spent a lot of time lately thinking about our embryos genetic parents. And how incredible of them it was to make the decision to donate these tiny miracles in waiting. And how grateful I am to them for giving us the joy of hope, even if that ends up being all we get from this experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No one ever plans on this torture...I think we all thought having a child would be a simple quest. It is horrible that so many of us have so much trouble.

When we went for our psychological evaluation, we had already been through hell and back with our adoption paperwork, so we felt well prepared for the psych. Honestly, it was actually really nice to sit and chat with someone about who we were. You will be just fine and you may even come away from the meeting knowing a few more things about yourself.
I wish I could thank our donors as well. Even if this cycle does not work, I would love to tell them how grateful I am for just the opportunity for a little bit of hope. I hope they somehow know what a gift it is.
So happy to have found you!